Sunday, 28 July 2013

Zanjeer remake’s release postponed


The Zanjeer remake has been in the news for one reason or the other ever since it was announced. The last we reported (Mirror, date June 26) was that while decks had been cleared for both the Hindi and Telugu release, late Prakash Mehra’s son Amit Mehra, had been replaced by his brothers Sumeet and Puneet, as producers of the joint venture with Reliance Entertainment and Flying Turtle.

However, just when it looked like the film, starring Ram Charan Teja and Priyanka Chopra, would keep its date with the slated September 6 release, developments in the Hindi and Telugu film industry seem to suggest otherwise.

A source revealed that on Saturday, makers of the Telugu film Yevadu, also starring Ram Charan, postponed the movie by three weeks — from coming Friday to August 21, bringing it too close to Zanjeer 2.0. Said the source: “It will be too much for Ram to have two of his films literally arriving back to back.

And more than just the Hindi version, Ram also has to worry about Zanjeer’s Telugu version —Thoofan. It will be a tall task for distributors and exhibitors to bring two of Ram’s films one after the other.” On the Bollywood front too, with Yash Raj pushing ahead the release of Shuddh Desi Romance, the Zanjeer remake now has direct competition from the Sushant Singh Rajput-Parineeti Chopra starrer.

The source said: “Though that by itself isn’t a threat since Zanjeer is a much bigger film than the Maneesh Sharma-directed movie, it cannot be ignored either. Some rethinking may be required here.”

Director Apoorva Lakhia however sounded confident. “I can only talk about my film. This week, as many as 12 films released all over India. It’s impossible for any film to get a single release unless it features the big four or five actors. Zanjeer is definitely arriving on September 6,” he said.


Akshay Kumar finds an admirer in Al Pacino

The veteran actor who watched the promo of Milan Luthria's next says that it reminded him of his Godfather days
 
 Akki finds an admirer in Al Pacino In a communication to the film's makers, Pacino said: "My friend Barry Navidi showed me a promo for an Indian gangster film with Akshay Kumar. It brought some fond memories back from my Godfather days."

The team of OUATIMDis obviously delighted with the news. When contacted, Akshay said, "A touch of appreciation is always held dearly-- even if it's from the simplest of people like our beloved spot boys. But to have an actor like Al Pacino say such nice things about your work is something else.

I had goose bumps thinking about him watching the promo! I was so humbled, not only as an actor but also as a fan of his work. I pray he enjoys the movie as much as he enjoyed the promo."
Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobaara (OUATIMD) has apparently caught the eye of Al Pacino, who we hear is pretty impressed with the film -especially with Akshay Kumar's look. Pacino was shown a promo of the film by his business partner Barry Navidi, and it let loose a torrent of memories for the veteran actor.

A source close to the films said: "Al Pacino and Barry Navidi were casually discussing the changing scenario of films. Barry happened to mention OUATIMDwhile mentioning gangster films made in India and showed him the theatrical trailer of the film."

BY GEORGE! SRK DOES A CLOONEY

His character in Farah Khan’s next is inspired by Danny Ocean in the Steven Soderbergh hit Ocean’s 11

 Shah Rukh Khan’s character in Happy New Year will have several traits in common with George Clooney’s Danny Ocean in the 2001 film, Ocean’s 11. And this tempts us into looking for more similarities between the other characters in the Farah Khan film and the Steven Soderbergh hit. However, while Ocean's 11 is about a heist, Farah's film is reportedly about a group of inept dancers locked in a competition.

A friend of SRK elaborated on his role in HNY: “He will be very cool with the girls, yet emphatically want to remain single. He will lead the pack, which will comprise of Abhishek Bachchan, Vivaan Shah and Boman Irani. The other guys will follow him, look up to him for directions. Yes, much like Clooney in the Ocean trilogy.” 

Mirror has also learnt that Shah Rukh will sport a mature look.  “He will play his age,” the friend added. Mirror had earlier reported, SRK will wear his hair longer than usual for the role. 

While other details about SRK’s look are being planned, what with the film just a month away from going on floors, Farah is yet to finalise her leading lady – a Marathi bar dancer. 

In fact, a source close to Katrina Kaif confirmed that she is not doing the film, contrary to the news doing the rounds in certain sections of the media.  Another source tells us that SRK has second thoughts about casting TV actress and Sushant Singh Rajput’s girlfriend Ankita Lokhande in the role. Ankita’s name has been propped up as a strong contender. “Ankita is very keen to be a part of Happy New Year, but it is not certain if she will get the role,” added a source.

Dad ends Sallu’s 15-crore legal battle

 A source close to Salman said: “The other day, Galani dropped by at Salman’s house and told Salim that he was extremely short of money. Salim heard him out and decided to waive off the outstanding amount. Galani thanked him and left.” When contacted, Salim Khan confirmed the development. “Initially, my son was enraged.

Especially when Galani said that he doesn’t owe him anything. Which is why we had escalated the matter to FWICE. Anyway, it’s over now. Salman is okay with it. I have told Galani that when his financial situation improves in the future, he can always come back and pay up,” Salim said. Galani sounded every bit a relieved man: “Salman and I are friends now. All’s well that ends well.”
The Salman Khan and producer Vijay Galani war is finally over. Thanks to Salman’s father, Salim Khan. Galani owed Rs 15 crore to Salman for the 2010 film Veer and had even dragged the star to court to settle the matter.

But not only was Galani banned by FWICE (Federation Of Western India Cine Employees), it was evident that he was fighting a losing battle at the court. Recently Galani mustered the courage to meet Salim Khan and request him to waive off the dues.

Back in the spotlight


Mirror spotted Manisha Koirala at a Mumbai theatre on Sunday. The actress, who was looking as beautiful as ever, was dressed in a casual salwar kurta and had her head covered with a dupatta.

She looked quite cheerful and was seen chatting with her friends during the interval. The actress was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in November last year and after undergoing treatment at Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York, she returned to the city on June 26.

In an interview with Mirror, Manisha had said that she plans to get back to work by October. "I am inspired and excited by the bolder, unusual crop of films and directors that we witness today. I have worked with some great directors and am looking forward to newer challenges," 

she had said.

Thursday, 25 July 2013

Kirstie Alley back with John Travolta


 

The actor will guest star in his look Who's Talking co-star's sitcom

Former on-screen couple Kirstie Alley and John Travolta are set to return to small screen with new sitcom Kirstie. The 59-year-old star is thrilled to be reunited with Alley, 62, with whom he starred in 1880s sitcom Look Who's Talking, reported an entertainment daily.
"I'm excited about working with Kirstie again, in addition to such terrific talent on the show. It's always a treat to be surrounded by people you respect so much both personally and professionally," he said.
Alley too expressed her excitement on Travolta's guest turn on the show.
"John Travolta is gonna be on our new show KIRSTIE!! So excited to work together again!!! We are gonna have a BALL!! @tvland!!," tweeted Alley.
In Kristie, Alley plays a Broadway star who will share a fling with Travolta, a guest star on the show. The sitcom is expected to premiere at the end of the year.

Hugh Jackman has sex in Wolverine costume

 And it's just as well he has a few sheckles in his bank account, because their antics cost a fortune in ripped bed sheets.

Hugh's wife Deborra-Lee Furness says the costume has some uses outside the bedroom too, including the kitchen, where it's ideal for making salads.

Asked what it's like to live with Hugh in full Wolverine mode, Deborra-Lee said: "Oh my God, it's dreadful! Always with the claws. I'm like, 'Mix the salad. Put them to use, come on!'"

Hugh interrupted: "The sheets we go through..." Let's hope he pops the props in the dishwasher between jobs. Hugh was also asked about his wife's influence on his career and said he gives her all the credit. He said: "I would not be a quarter of the man I am without her."

And if you're not careful with the claws, she'll be lucky to be a quarter of a woman. It's been a good week for the Aussie, cricket aside. The actor's new film, The Wolverine - part of the X-Men series of movies in which he plays the same role - is out tomorrow.

And to celebrate he's just spent a serious amount of cash on a piece of art by Banksy. He bought an oil painting worth more than $1million at the Corinthia Hotel in London last week.

He can't be going through too many sheets if he can still afford that kind of money for a bit of paint on canvas.
Without wanting to sound too camp, Hugh Jackman doesn't struggle in the looks or body department. But, the Aussie actor still keeps his missus interested in the sack - by wearing his full Wolverine outfit, including the blades.

A dangerous business when it comes to tuning the radio upstairs, and I won't even go downstairs.

Small screen’s big battle

 
Even though Chennai Express is the only film arriving on Eid, Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Dobaara (OUATIMD), which had postponed its release date to August 15 to ensure a smooth run for Shah Rukh Khan's film, might still steal some thunder from the Eid release. The producer of OUATIMD, Balaji Motion Pictures has planned an elaborate event to celebrate the festive occasion.

While the film's stars are expected to celebrate Eid in Dubai, over the weekend, a special two-hour-long show will be telecast in the prime time slot of a leading entertainment channel. The event will see Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha and Imran Khan come together for a show for the first time.

 
 While it is a common trend for stars to promote their films on TV shows, this will be one of the most expensive standalone shows ever made to promote a film.

"It will be an elaborate show featuring comedians, top TV actors and the stars of OUATIMD. The actors will perform on several songs from the film,"a source revealed. Tanuj Garg of Balaji confirmed the news.

‘I’m happy to be the chosen one’

  "We are a democracy, and the theatre fraternity has the right to voice its opinion on who should be heading this glorious 55-year-old semi-autonomous theatre training institute. As was expected, multiple opinions were voiced after a selection committee suggested three names, one of them being mine. The ministry deliberated on several opinions and took its decision. I am happy to be the chosen one," he observes.

On the issue of involvement of politicians and political bigwigs in the appointment process, he says: "I am unaware and uninterested in the political pressure on the ministry. I know that different theatre people and cultural personalities from different parts of India thought differently about the ideal candidate for such a prestigious national post. I respect the entire spectrum."

Kendre's appointment is perceived as a victory for Marathi theatre practitioners, who've never led the NSD from the top. "Yes, I will be the first Maharashtrian to hold that honour since the inception of NSD. And yes, I am seen as the face of Marathi theatre in Delhi. Regional aspirations are crucial in the making of a theatre person. But while representing Mumbai and its theatre, I am cognisant of the national nature of the job," he says. According to him, the head requires to retain his regional make up while casting off regional biases that can undermine the flexibility envisioned in the NSD constitution.

Going further, Kendre wants NSD to become a truly 'national' body, which lends a platform to practitioners of all hues and regional languages. He feels representation of regional languages in NSD's projects would further democratise the institution. "It is a national brand, not a Delhi-centric elite body of cultural bigwigs. It should assimilate the creative energies of people in metros as well as in rural pockets. It should relate to practitioners from varied theatre traditions," he says. Kendre aims to make NSD a rightful place not only for performers but also for theatre researchers and archivists who have valuable perspectives to offer.

Significantly, Kendre wants NSD to improve its connect with the common people. "The institute needs to have a livelier mass connect with the cultural life of the country. People in the theatre world, and generally too, should identify with NSD's activities and programmes. Its cultural calendar should not be a niche affair," he stresses, pointing to the possibility of more satellite festivals in smaller cities and towns alongside the annual Bharat Rang Mahotsav.
Marathi theatre artiste Waman Kendre talks to Mirror ahead of his official appointment as director of National School of Drama.

Elated but awaiting the physical order," says Mumbai-based theatre artist Waman Kendre about his appointment as director of the National School of Drama (NSD).

Current head of Mumbai University's Academy of Theatre Arts, director of Marathi plays such as Zulva and Madhyam Vyayog, and an alumnus of NSD, Kendre, is looking forward to taking the reins of India's premier theatre institution. He terms it a 'huge and humbling responsibility' but chooses not to comment on the alleged political lobbying that influenced the NSD appointment by the culture ministry.

Reena Roy returns after 13 yrs

 When contacted, Agnidev said, "You've caught me at the wrong time. I am very busy shooting. Can you please call me later? But yes, I have cast Reena and Vinod in my film."

Agnidev, known for taking up controversial issues like the Park Street rape case and the Maharashtra education scam in his films, has cast Reena in a pivotal role in his forthcoming project. The movie deals with the only real-life case of pardon by an Indian Governor; a power explained in Article 161 of the Indian Constitution.

A source close to the film revealed that Agnidev met Reena, who loved the script and didn't take too long to give her nod.

The film also stars Rituparna Sengupta and Karron Mallik in important roles.
She has a pivotal role in Bengali filmmaker Agnidev's next.

Among the popular leading ladies of the '70s and '80s -Reena Roy - who was last seen in 2000 in JP Dutta's Refugee, is planning a comeback.

She will return to the silver screen with Bengali filmmaker Agnidev Chatterjee's yet-untitled next opposite Vinod Khanna, who played Salman and Arbaaz Khan's father in Dabangg 2 (2012).

Anand Gandhi’s next to be a relationship drama

  Sohum was chosen for the role after getting a standout reception for his performance in SoT as the stock-broker who gets a kidney transplant and goes all the way to Stockholm to trace the original donor. Kiran Rao, who presented Gandhi's first film, will be collaborating on this project too. She will not only present the film, but will also be a creative consultant on it.

Other than Sohum, Gandhi has retained his technicians and producers from SoT, including the director of photography, Pankaj Kumar.

Unlike Ship of Theseus which was heavy on philosophy and dealt with questions of existence and identity, Gandhi's new film will be relatively light-hearted. It will focus on relationships and emotions of the characters.

 When contacted, Gandhi confirmed the story saying, "Although this time I will stay away from having a philosophical discourse, the grammar of my filmmaking will be evident. I'm still writing the script and developing the characters."

Said Sohum who plays the lead, "I'm thrilled to work with Gandhi again. From Anurag Kashyap to Anil Kapoor, everybody has appreciated my performance. I couldn't ask for a better second film."

Budgeted at Rs. 8 crore, the yetuntitled film's cast is yet to be finalised and the project is likely to go on floors later this year.
Has teamed up with Ship of Theseus actor Sohum Shah for a film budgeted at Rs 8 crore.

Riding high on the accolades he's gathering for Ship of Theseus, Anand Gandhi is working on two films simultaneously at the moment. One of them, as we've learnt, is a relationship drama, which will feature Sohum Shah in the lead.

Edapally Church Kochi Jesus Christ