Director Zack Snyder confirms that the two superheroes will be facing off against each other in the Man of Steel sequel
A sequel to last month's hit Superman film Man of Steel is not only in the works, but will feature two of DC Comics' best known caped Crusaders- Superman and Batman - facing off against each other director Zack Snyder said on Saturday.
Snyder, who directed British actor Henry Cavill as Superman/ Clark Kent, was a surprise addition to the end at San Diego's Comic-Con, an annual comics convention, and received thunderous applause from the 6,000-plus in attendance.
After announcing the plan to bring the two superheroes together, Snyder issued a statement via Warner Bros. saying the two would be fighting each other. "Let's face it, it's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest super-heroes in the world," said Snyder, who has been confirmed as the director of the as-yet unnamed sequel.
While both Superman and Batman are superheros in the DC universe, they have been portrayed as nemeses in DC's Dark Knight comics, from which Christopher Nolan adapted his Dark Knight Batman franchise. Nolan will serve as executive producer to the sequel.
The studio is banking on the success of other recent films that have paired up heroes from the comic book universe, such as Disney's Marvel superhero ensemble The Avengers in 2012, which made $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office.
Nolan's 2012's The Dark Knight Rises, starring Christain Bale as Batman, has made more than $1 billion at the global box office.
However, Superman has not always enjoyed box office success and the 2006 sequel starring Brandon Routh did not perform up to industry expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment