Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Justin-Jessica get clicked

The newly married couple sold the pictures of their special day to a magazine for $300,000 and here's one of them.
    We'd already seen Jessica's pink bridal gown but we can't get enough of nosing at other people's photos - especially ones from weddings.
     The Timberlakes decided they would sell the pictures to a leading magazine for $300,000, which would have gone a little way to helping out with the estimated $6.5million their Italian nuptials cost them.

     The couple's friends and family joined them at the Borgo Egnazia resort in Puglia where Justin serenaded Jessica as she walked down the aisle with a ballad he'd written especially for her.
    "I figured if there was something I was going to be able to offer, it would be to sing her down the aisle," he said.
    "Grown men were weeping. Hopefully it's because I didn't sound bad."
     He also said his wife's Giambattista Valli dress was "the most beautiful thing I have ever seen."

Bond's windfall

Easily dominating the foreign box office, James Bond film Skyfall opened to a staggering $77.7 million from 25 markets, paving the way for the 23rd installment in the multi-billion franchise to become the best of the series.
    The third Bond outing starring Daniel Craig as 007 opened a full two weeks before its Nov. 9 domestis debut and placed No.1 everywhere. The Sony and MGM film commanded $32.4 million in the U.K., shattering several records. "This picture has such an incredible DNA and to be so loved by critics and audiences alike will push it be one of the biggest, if not biggest, Bond pics," Sony worldwide president of distribution Rory Bruer said.

    Casino Royale, also starring Craig, is the top-grossing Bond film to date, earning $599 million worldwide, including $432million internationally.
    Sony said Skyfall smashed the all-time Saturday attendance record in the U.K., as well as posting the No.2 opening weekend in history, behind just the 3D Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2.
     In France, Skyfall drew $9.1 million from some 700 situations. Russia opened to $8.6million. The South Korea bow scooped up 49% of the market with $$6.1 million. Skyfall set an opening record for a Bond title in Brazil ($3.2 million) and drew $1.4 million in Belgium.
     The 22 previous Bond titles dating from the first, 1962's Dr.No (which generated $43.4million overseas) to 2008's Quantum of Solace ($407.7 million), have tallied total foreign revenues of $3.277 billion.
     Biggest Bond not starring the British actor was No.20, 2002's Die Another Day with Pierce Brosnan as 007, which drew $271.1million.

Monday, 29 October 2012

' I didn't know Anjali was so depressed'

Producer-director Sunil Agnihotri is in state of shock since his 42-year-old wife Anjali committed suicide at her Khar residence on October 26. Mirror spoke to him


How is the family coping with this terrible tragedy?
We're in a state of shock. Nobody who knew my wife Anju believes she's gone. More than me, my children are numbed by shock. I didn't know she was feeling so lonely. I was busy with scripting at my farm in Panvel.

Was there no one else at home when it happened?
There were carpenters working in the house. My mother is 80 and has recently undergone a heart surgery. She sits quietly in her room. No one ever imagined what my wife had in mind.

Didn't you call and check on her?
I always did. But for three days, I was busy penning the script along with my writers at my farm. I didn't call her for one whole day.

That's hardly reason to take one's life!
When my younger son came home from the gym and saw his mother in the state, he immediately called me. Before he went to the gym, she had been so normal. She gave no hint of what she was going to do. In fact, we were all planning a month-long holiday to the US from December 22.

So why did your wife break the rhythm of life so abruptly?
I don't know why she did this. She should've been happy that all her children are settled in life. At 22, my older son is a pilot. At 20, my younger son is assisting me. And our daughter has just started working in a TV channel. Perhaps we miscalculated the extent of her attachment to the family. She must have thought that her family has moved on.

Apparantly your wife left a note saying she loved you, her children and her mother-in-law. What made her take such a drastic decision then?
I'll spend the rest of my life trying to find out the answer to that question.Anju was the best wife and mother in the world. Such a livewire; if you see her videos, she would dance to music and cook in the kitchen.

But all of us have to deal with our children growing up and moving on!
The problem was, Anju was more a friend and less a mother to her children. She used to play games with them till late night. All the time, there was laughter and happiness in the house. When all the children started working, she must have felt alone.

Why didn't she tell you she felt lonely?
I don't know. Maybe she didn't want to burden me. She never gave me an inkling of her depression. Only now I got to know that she had told a friend, "My entire family is busy with their own lives. Then what is the purpose of my life?" Why didn't she tell me she felt this way? If I had the slightest hint of what was bothering her, I would have done something about it. 

Karan clears the road for Ekta

Ayan Mukerji-directed Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani starring Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone was originally slated for release on March 29.However, producers Dharma Productions have now decided to postpone the date to May 31 because Karan Johar was keen on averting a clash with good friend Ekta Kapoor, whose Lootera hits theatres on the same day.
      A source told Mirror, “It is never a good idea to release big films on the same day. It just eats into each other’s business and the audience gets divided.
     The shooting of Lootera is almost complete and Ekta Kapoor was contemplating attaching the promo of Lootera with KJo’s Student of the Year. However that didn’t happen. The entire shoot of Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani will be completed by November except for one song that will be shot in Jaunary.” Lootera, co- produced by Balaji Telefilms and Phantom Productions, was earlier supposed to release in February but because of Ranveer Singh’s unavailability for promotions, with dates having already been allotted to Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Ram Leela, the film got pushed to March 29.

     A source told Mirror, "Ekta was the first to announce her release date. Karan was touched on hearing Ekta was willing to push her release date for him. So before that, Karan decided to shift his. He shares a great rapport with Ajay too and didn't want to complicate the situation." Even now, Karan having postponed Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani to May 31 still doesn't clear the road for Lootera completely, with Ajay Devgn starrer Himmatwala already slotted for release that day.
    Karan Johar and Ekta Kapoor remained unavailable for comment.

I would like to fulfill my dad's dream

Manjari Makijani (25), daughter of (late) Mac Mohan (Sambha from Sholay) and cousin of Raveena Tandon, has worked as an Assistant Director on a pose of projects including Wake Up Sid, 7 Khoon Maaf, Hexe Lilli: Die Reise nach Mandolan, MI4: Ghost Protocol and Batman: The Dark Knight Rises to name some. What's more, her first independent directorial titled The Last Marble about nine-year-old street kid who makes things from metal crap and junk, has been showcased in 15 film festivals, the latest being the Seven Islands International Film Festival (SIIFF) with the theme of empowering strong, resilient and inspirational women. Makijani in conversation with Mirror....

Did you start making films to support your family?
No. The Last Marble happened simply because I wanted to take break from being as Assistant Director. I had an opinion on every film I saw. That's when I realised I should be a part of the entertainment business. I was very active in drama in school and college.

Isn't it true your dad set up a production house?
I operate under the name of the same production house- MAC Productions. My father had a dream when he set it up. He could not fulfill his plans as his health was falling. I would like to fulfill his dream.

Which of his films is your favourite?
I rate Kaala Patthar as my dad's best. I don't know why but his character always makes me cry whenever I see it.

Have you shown The Last Marble to Vishal Bhardwaj and Karan Johar?
Not yet, though I did go to meet Vishal Sir on the sets. he is very happy for me, he told his son he too should send his short films to festivals. His son has made a lovely short film with Kalki Koechlin.


How is the road ahead for new-comers?
Today, many big filmmakers encourage good cinema from the younger crop. In fact, Dharma Productions has given my friend Sonam Nair her first break. Another friend of mine Karan Butani has a film under his belt which is going to be produced by Tigmanshu Dhulia.

Is a feature film in the offing?
Yes. I am planning to make a romantic comedy. Lekin uske pehle I might still make a short film or two.

Security lapse on Dabangg 2 set

On Thursday evening, six men suddenly appeared on the sets of Dabangg 2 in Mehboob Studio (Bandra) and even shook hands with Salman Khan, who initially thought they were members of the crew. It took the actor a while to realise something was amiss..

    Immediately, his personal bodyguards swung into action and threw the intruders out not only from the sets but also from the studios. But not before the actor's team had given an earful to the Mehboob Studios' officials, for the security lapse.
    In fact, the security has been beefed up from Friday to avoid such incidents in the future.
    Explaining what exactly transpired, an eyewitness told this newspaper, "Six men suddenly came on the set as Salaman was gearing up for a scene. They moved around Salman for a while. A few of them then went up to him and stretched out their hands for a handshake. Salman calmly shook hands thinking they were from the crew. Suddenly, his sixth sense told him something was fishy. He had this uncanny feeling that they were neither crewmembers nor invited guests."
    So what were Salman's 12 security guards doing when all of this happened? Wasn't it part of their duty to avert such an incident? Said the witness, "Those twelve guards are Salman's personal guards. They don't stand like chowkidars at the door of his every set. They are mostly either around him or parked vehicle.Mehboob Studio's security that was patrolling the set is to be blamed."

    A source from the Dabangg 2 set confirmed remedial measures have now been taken post the Thursday incident. "Earlier, we had eight men managing the Dabangg 2 set, now we have sixteen," the source said. 
'Salman's team gave an earful to the Mehboob Studio's officials
    There has always been top security on the Dabangg 2 sets. In a first for the industry and Kamalistan Studio, the entire studio (Jogeshwari), comprising 12 units, had been exclusively booked for the opening schedule of the film, which kicked off in March this year. Looks like not booking the entire Mehboob Studios was a mistake.

'This is regression'

That's how a majority of filmmakers feel about the recent decision of broadcasters to not purchase 'A' Certified films even if they are modified
 On October 27, this newspaper reported that four major broadcasters have decided not to buy the satellite rights of 'A' films as they are forced to air them post 11pm, owing to a drop in ad revenues. The satellite channels have decided not to by these films even if producers in question or the censors clip the objectionable portions and hand them a modified version to be broadcast.

    Needles to say, the decision hasn't gone down well with majority of filmmakers who have swung into damage control mode. Mirror has learnt they are busy having closed-door meetings with their creatives on how to manoeuvre their way forward in such a scenario.
    A source told Mirror, "Producers are at their wits' end. Several scripts have been approved by them which have adult themes and are bound to get an 'A' certificate from the Censor Board. They have even paid token amounts to script writers and roped in directors to for these films.
'Any serious thought cannot be explored on celluloid now
    Said Mahesh Bhatt,"The film industry has frozen. I wonder what will the likes of Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Bhardwaj and Madhur Bhandarkar do now? These guys make films only of a particular intensity"
    Reema Kagti isn't amused. The Talaash director said she strongly feels her right to freedom of expression has been violated.
    Said Madhur Bhandarkar, "I have made my career on hard-hitting cinema, right from Chandni Bar to Heroine. Every script in our business will now have to be diluted keeping the U' certificate in mind.On one hand, you say cinema is not changing. And just when we've brought in change....
    Leading distributor Anil Thadani opined, "The smaller films will have to crunch their budgets even further," he added.

    By contrast, Sanjay Gupta, who is known for the controversial content in his films shrugged it off saying, "I shall continue to make films which are close to my heart. Rules keep coming and going."
    Bhatt, who is concerned he may have to make changes in his upcoming film Murder 3, said, "I cannot even think of making a Zakhm or Tamanna now.The writing is on the wall: Any serious thought cannot be explored on celluloid now. India is now going to see only fairy tales of the 19th century." Bhandarkar seconded Bhatt terming it as regression. A source close to Sachin Yardi, who made the bold adult humour Kya Super Kool Hain Hum for Ekta Kapoor, said,"It's time to go back to the days of holding hands and dancing around trees."
     Kagti proposed,"The need of the hour is to open a dialogue between the Censor Board, channels and filmmakers."

Dutt and Oberoi cross swords again

Raj Sippy's 1977 thriller Inkaar, best remembered for the lavni number Mungda is now a disputed property.
    Both Dharam Oberoi and Sanjay Dutt, who are now on talking terms again (Mumbai Mirror, October 24, 2012), are keen on remaking the film. While Oberoi claims to have the remake rights of Inkaar, Sanjay Dutt who has been on the look-out for a good dcript to carry forward Sanjat Dutt Productions after Rascals, has reportedly approached Raj Sippy for the remake rights of the film.
    When contacted, Raj Sippy said,"I cannot deny that Sanjay Dutt is interested in remaking Inkaar. However it is Dharam Oberoi who has bought the rights of the film."
     Said a source, "Dharam paid an initial amount of Rs 7-8 lakh to Raj Sippy. This was during the time when he was Sanjay Dutt's feels the remake rights of Inkaar were sold to him. However all the papers pertaining to the rights are with Dharam and he is adamant on starting his production house with Inkaar. but Raj Sippy has only house with Inkaar. But Raj Sippy has only got the initial amount from Dharam. The total amount agreed for the remake rights is Rs 75 lakhs."
    Added the source, "Dutt and Dadu (Raj Sippy) go back a long way. They've worked together in many films in the past, like Thanedaar and Shiva. Dutt has offered to pay Raj the entire amount of Rs 75 lakhs for the remake rights."
    Interestingly, Dharam Oberoi haas approached Anurag Basu direct the Inkaar remake. The producer also wants the Mungda song to be re-molled. Mirror has learnt that the producer is planning to get Sunny Leone to perform the number.

Aashiqui 2 gets postponed again

While the Bhatt camp is excited about the sequel to their 1990 romantic hit Aashiqui starring Rahul Roy and Anu Agarwal, we've learnt Aashiqui 2 has failed to keep its date with Valentine's Day.
    The sequel that went on floors this month will not release on February 14 as originally slated because Vishesh Films' Murder 3 will now hit theaters a day after i.e. February 15. Aashiqui 2 will open to audiences sometime in April next year. Reportedly, Murder 3 too was earlier scheduled to release by end of this year but got postponed.
     A source told Mirror, "Aashiqui 2 was delayed as casting of the leading lady took some time. Thought it was announced the makers are planning to release the film on Feb 14, it doesn't seem that way. After shooting, they will also need some time for promotions. "Aashiqui 2 is being directed by Mohit Suri and produced by Vishesh films and T-Series, while Murder 3 is Vishesh Bhatt's directorial debut. The date of release hasn't been decided yet however Bhushan Kumar and Mahesh Bhatt are excepted to take a call soon

Zac auctions his time for charity

Zac Efron is attempting to pull in a fortune for charity by aucyioning off an hour of his time.
    The actor has agreed to sit down for 60 minutes with one lucky fan to raise money for Communties In Schools, a non-profit educational organisation which encourages children to stay in school.The one-on-one meeting with Efron, which is being auctioned on a leading website, is excepted to pull in as much as $5,000. The auction, which ends on 31 October(12), states, "Polite manners and respext for the generous donor and adherence to any rules or parameters are a must".

Sunday, 28 October 2012

No Need to Rush

Late director Shamin Desai’s four-year-old ready and waiting Rush finally hits screens this weekend. The director never quite got to see his finished product and I am not sure how he, the talented creative head and founder of channel [V] in its original avatar, would’ve reacted to this compromised result.
   Rush, the story of an ambitious news reporter Samar Grover (Emraan Hashmi) caught up in a web of deceit of crime and politics ens up a targeted man. His rocky relationsip with his artist girlfriend (Sagarika Ghatge) often comes in th way of his aspirations.
     The screenplay is compelling on paper but by first cut, the drama fizzles out and the film is all over the place. What should’ve been a tight noir, with fluid introspective images and minimal dialogue turns up missing  certain darkness, a glossy nearly typical Emraan Hashmi film without the sex, and unnecessary dialogue that floods the space.
     Even though it starts with promise- as  Samar gets a chance to interview an assassin whose roster includes high-profile targets, the idea descends into familiar themes. If you’ve seen The World is Not Enough, you’ve seen Rush. Thea ddition of songs – an obvious afterthought given the continuity of Hashmi’s beard and Ghatge’s weight – is redundant and a major drawback. Just when you’re getting into the thick of the action (helped with some wellchosen background music), cutting to the lip-sync nonsense resets everything.
     Neha Dhupia looks like a million bucks in her short, neat hair and stylish clothes, never starying from her well-defined femme fatale zone. Emraan Hashmi looks the part of a reporter with bad luck and brings honesty to his character. A cameo by Alekh Sangal, whose character  catalyzezs events in the movie, is notable. Gary Shaw, DoP of the marvelous and moody Moon, has shot Rush. You may want to see the effect Bollywood can have on the uber- talented. In the end, the movie is too neat, lacks punch, and has too many explanations. Maybe it’d have worked four years ago but even the big resolution is old hat. Unless you’re a die-hard Hashmi fan (how many millions again?), there’s no rush to see this.

Edapally Church Kochi Jesus Christ